northernplunder

Northern Plunder

Lauren | Bibliophile | UK
You can find me at Blogspot, Tumblr & occassionaly YouTube.

The Walking Dead, Compendium 1
Cliff Rathburn, Charlie Adlard, Tony Moore, Robert Kirkman
Later with Myself: The Misadventures of Millie Moskowitz
Sheryl Sorrentino
The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton
End of Faith: A Novel (Children of Grace Series, #1) - Rena Willemin This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

I was given this book in return for an honest review, and boy am I glad I didn't turn it down, and I almost did seeing as though my to-read pile has been getting a little out of hand lately. When I first started this book I didn't get attached to it straight away and that was because from first glances you've got a Prophet and a Rich Girl who are the voices behind the chapters, honestly I'm not too found of religious-ness in books because they often come in two forms - very bad or overly religious or even a combination of both - and I just kind of don't really get either (oh and this is totally the bad kind, think brainwashing young girls ready for breeding programmes) and then of course the Rich Girl, who I feel I should apologise too as I automatically assumed she was your usual rich snob who you can't relate too, but it turns out she's so very far from that and isn't actually all too rich, in fact all the preconceived facts I had about her perfectly describe her mother, and Val herself is headstrong (for the most part) and your ideal pal for wanting to survive the end of the world with. Kind of. I say kind of because well the whole point of this book is the fact she gets mixed up with the wrong kind of things, first of all she helps the pregnant lady mentioned in the synopsis which ends up getting her only friends dead, herself stabbed and homeless and in a bit of a pickle. Luckily there was this really lovely guy - Wayne - who she met earlier on in the book so she stumbles across his house eventually which y'know could be a good thing but after four years of most of the world being dead he does end up only wanting one thing and she has to move on, it was a shame really cause he was pretty in the know with this new world they're living in. But Val doesn't give up, nope she keeps trekking on, surviving and living! Whilst surviving on her own for what seems like an impossible amount of time she seeks refuge in one of many abandoned houses and whilst here a young girl and she takes it upon herself to look after and escape the confines of the prophets rule from here on forth I found it to be a really difficult book to put down as I just had to know how they were going to survive together and escape the never-relenting trackers, of course things don't go as smoothly as planned but I don't want to give much else away but we do get to have more of an insight into the life surrounding the prophet and how bad and low he is willing to stoop to get his own way. Overall I enjoyed the story and it left me wanting to know what life would bring for Val later on, oh and my favourite character was actually Wayne because to me his was important as he was kind of the marker to illustrate just how much time had passed, how much humanity had dissolved and much people were willing to give up on and trade for to have a life similar to the past. I would definitely recommend it and I have high hopes for the sequel.

Rena please can we have the sequel soon :)