northernplunder

Northern Plunder

Lauren | Bibliophile | UK
You can find me at Blogspot, Tumblr & occassionaly YouTube.

The Walking Dead, Compendium 1
Cliff Rathburn, Charlie Adlard, Tony Moore, Robert Kirkman
Later with Myself: The Misadventures of Millie Moskowitz
Sheryl Sorrentino
The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

I'm keeping this a fairly short review, or at least I intend too because to me the title itself is very self explanatory and well it does what it says on the cover! I picked this book up knowing very little about Abraham Lincoln so I think one of the worries I had for it was that I wouldn't understand much if it referred to something he did and I would just be sat there holding the book like a clueless Brit. However, this book doesn't drop in at the deep end, it is very much a biography of Abe's life from start to end, and a little further, it grabs your attention in every way possible and I'm not a fan of biographies at all yet I managed to stick with this - maybe the promise of Vampires helped? - by the time the Vampires were brought in on a large scale you're at the point of believe absolutely anything the author throws at you. Heck, if you ask me now to answer anything regarding Abe and his life as far as I'm concerned he did go about wielding an Axe to slay Vampires, he did have in-depth discussions with Poe about said Vampires and well Vampires are indeed real. Completely real. No doubt about it.

So when I was about half way through this book my Dad and I sat down to watch the movie too, I was a little iffy about this knowing I hadn't yet read the book but surprisingly I enjoyed every moment. The moive presented itself slightly different to the book, focusing a lot more on the Vampire and slaying side of things and definitely made it a lot more action packed towards the end and when I picked up the book afterwards I started panicking that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much (an incident like this happened with The Shining a few years back) but I was pleasantly surprised because the book kept to how it started out and didn't go all flamboyant on the action at the end which I really liked because lets face it that last scene was a little unbelievable with his age, so for me the book was a lot better off though I wouldn't dismiss the movie - it simply adapted to fit the target audience and it did it well.

All in all I highly recommend both, at times I got a little dragged down by the lack of Vampire action in the book but the movie makes up for it. Happy reading.