northernplunder

Northern Plunder

Lauren | Bibliophile | UK
You can find me at Blogspot, Tumblr & occassionaly YouTube.

The Walking Dead, Compendium 1
Cliff Rathburn, Charlie Adlard, Tony Moore, Robert Kirkman
Later with Myself: The Misadventures of Millie Moskowitz
Sheryl Sorrentino
The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton
Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions - Jeri Smith-Ready, Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Jennifer Lynn Barnes, Mary E. Pearson, Rachel Vincent, Ally Condie, Sarah Rees Brennan, Claudia Gray, Melissa Marr, Carrie Ryan, Kimberly Derting, Jackson Pearce, Jessica Verday, Rachel Caine, Kelley Armstrong This review was first posted on Northern Plunder,part one here and part two here, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

Well obviously I'd have to tackle this book a little differently due to the fact its an anthology but because of my reading slump I've also decided to review half of it now and half of it later because I seem to be getting nowhere with no book even though I'm enjoying them! How does that work? I have no idea. As each story is only a short one I will try my very best to not give too much away but this will also mean the reviews will be short too - now this makes sense!

Introduction: by Melissa Marr & Kelley Armstrong
I actually really enjoyed this introduction it was handy mostly because whilst I've heard of a few of the authors, I have only read books by Melissa Marr in the past so it was nice to get a background story behind why these authors teamed up for this perfect bundle of paranormal journeys.

Giovanni’s Farewell: by Claudia Gray
Claudia Gray, author of the Evernight series which is on my wishlist, opens the book with a ghostly experience of twins Cairo and Ravenna who are different in the paranormal kind of way! Oh did I mention its set in Rome. I was thrilled this was the first story because I went to Rome last year and could relate to a lot of things being mentioned, particularly the heat that seems to be non stop. For me it was the perfect story to open the book with.

Scenic Route: by Carrie Ryan
Carrie Ryan, author of The Forest of Hands and Teeth (also on my wishlist), provides one of my favourite short stories in this anthology. Its about Zombies but never actually says that word nor refers to them too directly, its one that definitely leaves you guessing whilst giving us insight on the lives of two sisters and how they're trying to survive in the horrible world they've been left in.

Red Run: by Kami Garcia
Kami Garcia is the author of the Caster Chronicles (yep, you guessed it! Wishlist!) and we're given another ghost story, but this one is more of a horror ghost story dealing with the murder of a young boy turned human slaughtering ghost maniac! It has a twist of course.

Things About Love: by Jackson Pearce
You have the Fairytale Retellings on your wishlist too right? Well this isn't about Fairytales but it is about Jinn or Genies or Djinn, however you know them best. I haven't been introduced to these creatures before in a book so I was happy to know all about them over these short pages, I think I also favourite this story because we have a main character who isn't hetero - hooray for breaking the mould.

Niederwald: by Rachel Vincent
For those of you who have read the Soul Screams series you need to check this out because this little treat is 4.5 of the series, if you haven't read it, no need to worry because whilst a few things may start off as confusing you're all cleared up way before the end. I adored this world I visited and will be starting the series soon I hope.

Merely Mortal: by Melissa Marr
Ah. Spoilers. That's all I had screaming through my head the entire tale. I've read the first of the Wicked Lovely series and that was a few years ago, I've been meaning to re-start it this year as I have the first three books but I'm going to have to wait until these characters names are lost in my memory. I still enjoyed it though, and all the description was lovely!

Facing Facts: by Kelley Armstrong
Whilst I have a LOT of Kelley's books on my wishlist I haven't gotten any of them and I struggled a little with this story - due to being way over tired and getting confused with all the characters - but I still enjoyed it a lot, I do think having background knowledge of this series would of helped a lot though.

Let's Get this Undead Show on the Road by Sarah Rees Brennan
What happens when you leave a vampire and three humans in a locked room with only food supplied for the humans? Well this story actually, and boy I loved it.

Bridge by Jeri Smith-Ready
This short story took a new approach to the ghost story, not only was it written in verse it was also from the ghosts point of view, said ghost was a teenager following the lives of his brother and loved ones from the other side and with the help of a female stranger was able to stop another disaster from happening.

Skin Contact by Kimberly Derting
I think this was easily the most tense and heartbreaking story of them all as it follows a young boy who has dreams of the future, and not good ones either. These are dreams that only provide terror and worry to any who care a lot about their loved ones.

Leaving by Ally Condie
This is the oddest concept I've read for a while, in short everyone lives inside of large globes because the outside is unsafe and one girl plans to leave to a past time, our time. Its rather wonderful really and I highly recommend seeking this story out if not the others.

At the Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show by Jessica Verday
I only wanted The Rocky Horror Picture Show last year and its a good job I did or all these references wouldn't have made any sense! This was a weird story about a girl hunting cannibal girl scouts, I mean what an odd concept? Now you're like how does TRHPS have anything to do with this, well she then stumbles across a car full of vampires cosplaying for a Rocky Horror event haha.

IV League by Margarent Stohl
I didn't really like this story until the end, it was slow and not as exciting as the other but its about young vampires trying to enrol into schools but struggle due to their vampire state. I'm pretty sure they had a dog vampire at the end...

Gargouille by Mary E. Pearson
This tale was beautiful, its about a Gargouille that was capture and had their wings clipped and is loosing her memory because of it, its really heartbreaking as she's recently fallen in love too! But it has a really lovely ending :3

The Third Kind by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
This was also one of the slower ones, it follows a pair of sisters - one who has "pulses" every now and then about certain things she has to do and this time it involves leaving in the very earlier hours of the morning for safety reasons. It turns out to be more complicated than just these pulses as others decided its murdering time!

Automatic by Rachel Caine
Last but not least we have another vampire story but this one is super amusing as its about a vending machine for cans of blood, it really tickled me this one and I really want to read something by Rachel Caine now.