northernplunder

Northern Plunder

Lauren | Bibliophile | UK
You can find me at Blogspot, Tumblr & occassionaly YouTube.

The Walking Dead, Compendium 1
Cliff Rathburn, Charlie Adlard, Tony Moore, Robert Kirkman
Later with Myself: The Misadventures of Millie Moskowitz
Sheryl Sorrentino
The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton
Pushing the Limits - Katie McGarry This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

I'd seen this book popping up a lot, everywhere I looked it was there. It wasn't until a good book blogging friend of mine completely freaked out about how much she adored this book that I decided I'd request it. Honestly I skimmed the synopsis and didn't really think much about it but I was still dying to read it. We're introduced to Echo first and you're instantly faced with the controlling relationship between her and her father, its one you can either relate to first hand or have friends who have parents just like that and this makes Echo seem real she is relate-able. During our first meeting of Echo we're also faced with the "pulling down of her sleeves" which if like me you haven't read the synopsis properly you're probably thinking hmm what's so important about that? along with her new Councillor and step-mom from hell who is baby obsessed to the max. We are then introduced to Noah Hutchins all round bad boy, with a bad boy attitude and hilarious in that bad boy way. It doesn't take long for you to realise the connection/friendship/relationship these two are bound to make and it does make you sit back and wonder is this going to be your every day, bog standard high school romance with the usual issue of underdog likes popular girl, she likes him back but popularity is a must and he gets hurt but in the end they end up together kissing under the stars. It makes you wonder that definitely. But it is in't. Throw down any issues you may have with the usually lame high school romances and pick this book up and read it in one sitting, its worth it. Not only are the characters "complete ends of the spectrum" but they're interesting, the character development of each of them (together and by themselves) is wonderful, there is so much hidden under their skin, troubles and problems they have to face/recall that leaves you guessing (heh unless your brain doesn't like to turn off) until the end, its brilliant. They're such strong characters that you can't help but feeling for them and wanting to help them on their journey and maybe even throwing the book down in anger whilst shouting"THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK NOAH!" out loud. I don't think its possible for me to explain how happy I was with this book, it was so much better than I expected and I think for once it's helped having low expectations for a book, I really couldn't put it down.
Recommend? Yes.