northernplunder

Northern Plunder

Lauren | Bibliophile | UK
You can find me at Blogspot, Tumblr & occassionaly YouTube.

The Walking Dead, Compendium 1
Cliff Rathburn, Charlie Adlard, Tony Moore, Robert Kirkman
Later with Myself: The Misadventures of Millie Moskowitz
Sheryl Sorrentino
The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton
Divergent  - Veronica Roth This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

4.5/5

48 hours later and I've finally decided to tackle this review, I don't know why I found it so hard other than the fact it left me a little speechless, but not speechless in the normal sense, more like I have so much I want to say that I don't know where I want to start and I don't want to give away any spoilers. First up we're introduced to Beatrice and the five different factions, it took me a little while to get my head around each one and I did wonder why only five but to be honest if there were any more my head may have fallen off. At the age of 16 each person is to take a test and pick a faction that they wish to live as a part of for the rest of their lives, its a pretty big decision too because ultimately it could mean abandoning their family. Once they've made their decision they then have to go through an initiation process to become a part of their new (or old) faction, not so bad right? well actualyl yes it is because if they fail they're thrown to the streets and made factionless (pretty much homeless people who have very little comfort in their lives). As I started reading this book someone told me that the initiation process took up 99% of the book and I immediately thought of this as a bad thing, I was sat thinking how could something be dragged out for so much of the book and not bore the reader, or leave the reader wanting more to happen but boy was I wrong! I believe this was done purposefully because it really gave you time to know each and every character no matter how main (or little) of a role they had, you grew attached even if you didn't want to and grew upset when they changed for better or for worse - if you've read it you know who and what I'm talking about. I honestly found that scene a little heartbreaking and unsure of why Al took such drastic measures. Obviously I adored Four as a character even if I did figure out the meaning of his name and where he was from a good while before we were let on to the truth - which at the time made me angry because I felt the book would end up at 3 stars because I hate guessing what happens - luckily things happened and changed my mind. I really don't want to give too much away about this book because I picked it up knowing nothing about it other than it was supposed to be really good and to be honest it was and I'm happy I didn't know what to expect because it allowed me to have no expectation of what was supposed to happen. One last thing I would like to mention is that some people felt the ending was a little rushed, but I think it was done on purpose to represent her rush of adrenaline, and because of this I felt the ending was super strong, and for it make the entire book so lovable. Now I'm going to have to sit back and cry a little because the boyfriend has banned me from buying any more books and I want to know what happens next.
Recommend? I've been sat with this page open for an hour without even knowing where to start so I say yes, just read it and that way you know my rating was probably right and it doesn't matter I couldn't form a review.
Rating: 4.5/5