northernplunder

Northern Plunder

Lauren | Bibliophile | UK
You can find me at Blogspot, Tumblr & occassionaly YouTube.

The Walking Dead, Compendium 1
Cliff Rathburn, Charlie Adlard, Tony Moore, Robert Kirkman
Later with Myself: The Misadventures of Millie Moskowitz
Sheryl Sorrentino
The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

During my first year of college we had to read and study The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, as this was a book I already owned and wanted to read I was pretty happy about this and even got a head start on reading.

Honestly, I was pretty happy with most of the book, I liked the whole concept of how her heaven was and that she got to watch down on her family and seeing how they (didn't) cope with her murder. I thought it was a very interesting idea.

Unfortunately the ending left a sour taste in my mouth, which explains the rating. As many of you know Alice Sebold is a rape victim, and actually managed to get justice for her attacker, which you know good for her! I bring this up because Susie (the main character of The Lovely Bones) was raped before her murder and at the end of the book she comes down from heaven, enters Ruth's body and has sex, more than once, with the boy that Susie was crushing on before her murder.
To me, that is just one bit what the f*ck moment. Ruth doesn't consent to this - and has no sexual attraction to him nor his gender. What if she got pregnant? Oh hey mum I technically haven't had sex but I've got a kid on the way... How must Ruth feel having her body violated like that? I ugh I just felt so frustrated with this book and actually through it across the room after finishing it.