northernplunder

Northern Plunder

Lauren | Bibliophile | UK
You can find me at Blogspot, Tumblr & occassionaly YouTube.

The Walking Dead, Compendium 1
Cliff Rathburn, Charlie Adlard, Tony Moore, Robert Kirkman
Later with Myself: The Misadventures of Millie Moskowitz
Sheryl Sorrentino
The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater, Will Patton
Catalyst - Jennifer Snyder This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

I received a copy of Catalyst for review from Laura at Little Read Riding Hood and her Author Services, but Braine from Talk Supe put me in contact with her which is fabulous.

For me Catalyst was an easy read, fairly fast paced and it held my attention really well, which I certainly consider a pro lately as its Summer and I seem to spend a lot of my time not reading.

The story follows Addison who inherits a house in a small beach town from her birth mother, who she never met. As a Summer trip, and way to escape what she wants to do next with her life Addison decides to stay in the house for a while with her best friend.

During their time here Addison starts to uncover some small truths about her family, mostly that she is from a family of witches and whilst she's a little sceptical at first she does end up trying her hand at magic. Their magic is based off the elements, hers being fire and this means that the person who's element is air (Kace) is pretty much her soul mate, they ignite each other. Just like earth and water do too - we meet this people too and they're pretty intense with their relationship.

Even though Addison clearly wants to know more about her birth family, she doesn't get to find out much which means we don't too and whilst this could be seen as a fault if you're a little impatient, it didn't bother me because the book on a whole didn't feel like it was set over a large time span and spent much more time developing the relationship between Addison and her "new family" of witches.

Besides from Addison we also briefly meet her best friend, but due to some hoodoo magick she has to leave. Urgently. I would have liked her to stay around as her and Addison are very different people but maybe we see more of her in the sequel?

Then there is Theo who we only see about three times in the book and honestly I think he was my favourite character haha. He was mysterious and I wanted to know more! I know we're supposed to think of him as the "bad guy" of the story but honestly the way he treated her at the beginning in the cafe seemed more intrigued than anything, and then with what happened at the end of the book I have a feeling he might become a little bit of a heart throb in the sequel which should introduce some tension between the magick and hoodoo families. Oh yeah did I mention Theo practices in hoodoo! I can't wait to hear more about this as well.

Okay and now onto Kace. He and Addison hit it of pretty much straight away, they have a spark between them, physically. As in they actually kind of bring alive the magick in one another and it sounds great what they have. Overall he is pretty sweet towards Addison, and she clearly likes him, but I felt he was a little too forward, probably because he grew up with knowledge of magick whereas Addison didn't so at times I felt he wasn't being as helpful as he could have been but I imagine there is a heck of a lot to learn and she didn't want to embrace it all in one day.

He is also where Addison finds out most of her answers to her family, but as stated we don't actually find out much, I have a few questions left unanswered from her mothers prologue because to me it hints that there could be some giant fault or mistrust with the families, I'm not sure why, this is just the vibes I'm getting. I'm excited to see if I'm right or not.

Overall I enjoyed the story a lot, it had me hooked, and even if I felt it had some downsides it certainly got its nails dug into me and that is where they shall stay because I am now dying to read the sequel. Soon! I really need to know what happens and I have a feeling it'll be an even better book!